1930s Nazi rallies featured an imposing ‘cathedral of light’
Image: ullstein bild/ullstein bild via Getty Images
Following Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party’s seizure of power in Germany in 1933, they began staging massive and intimidating annual rallies in Nuremberg.
The Nuremberg Rallies were held each September at specially designed assembly grounds which spanned 11 square kilometers
The rallies, which were documented in Leni Riefenstahl’s propaganda films, including Triumph of the Will, were meant as displays of unity, strength and German commitment to the Nazi cause.
Though the hundreds of thousands of party loyalists assembled on the grounds made for a fearsome sight, one of the most spectacular elements of the rallies was architect Albert Speer’s “cathedral of light.” Read more…
View this article: