Got Cornstarch and Bacon Grease? You Can Make Your Own Homemade Frisbee
One good flick of the wrist and a Frisbee is marooned on the neighbor’s roof—or, worse, has traveled a great, exhausting distance. Save your precious energy with these slightly crappy homemade throwing discs. Bonus: You can modify endlessly to demonstrate various aerodynamic principles. The tinkering is half the fun.
1. Combine 5 drops of oil (any kind will do, including bacon grease) with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in a ziplock. Mix.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of water, then reseal the bag and knead. Food dye is optional.
3. Empty the liquid into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20 to 25 seconds. (Shorter heating time = a flexible, floppy disc; increased nuking = a brittle, more breakable disc that flies farther.)
4. Smooth over imperfections and score portions of the disc you plan to remove while it is still in the bowl. (Try making a hole in the center or cutting the disc into an X shape to see what happens.)
5. Let it cool for one hour, pop it out, and fling!