Tumblr Adds GIF-Making Tools to Its iPhone App
There is no shortage of GIFs on Tumblr. According to the company, more than 23 million of the animated loops are posted on its service every day. That is a lot of (hard-G) GIFs.
There’s also no shortage of tools for making those GIFs. However, until now, there has mysteriously been no way to make GIFs on Tumblr itself without using your webcam. It was a strange omission for a service that gets so jiggy with the GIFs.
Today, Tumblr becomes more of a full-service GIF-making and -posting factory—at least on mobile devices. An update to the Tumblr iOS app adds GIF Maker, which lets you make animated GIFs from short video clips and image bursts. Right there on your mobile device, kids! For now, it’s an iOS-only affair, but Tumblr says it is working on an Android version as well.
Here’s how to cook up your own GIFs using photo bursts and videos from your photo roll, once you’ve got the updated app:
1. Hit the compose button and choose a Photo post.
2. Pick a set of burst-mode images or a video you want to turn into a GIF. Eligible photos and videos should have a “GIF” badge on them. You’re limited to a three-second clip to start with, but you can stretch it out in the edit tool.
3. Edit that jawn. You can make it “rebound” back and forth like a Boomerang post, tweak the speed from 0.5x to 4x, and zoom it or crop it by pinching the screen. The default playback scenario is a loop.
4. Save your gifterpiece and post it.
5 (optional). Shoot a video of that GIF on a laptop screen with your iPhone camera, then make a GIF out of that. GIF Inception, yo.
6. Repeat forever until dinnertime or death. Your legacy will live on in the form of hella GIFs.